Saturday, April 11, 2009

cookies and poverty

One of the thing that I love the most is choc chip cookies. When I said I love it, I really mean it. I can go to the extend that I can finish up the whole box of cookies in just about an hour..all by myself. Cookies makes me hyper due to the sugar rush obviously. and I can be very hyper by just eating those cookies(that's what my parents worried of). Besides chocolate, cookies are my true friend when I'm sad or feeling down. They make me happy =D and fat too!! Choc chip cookies are never enough for me.

Then, one day mum called me and asked me what I had for my dinner. Simply i just told her that I only ate choc chip cookies. Well, guess what happens next? I received almost an hour lecture reminding me that I need to eat carbo and protein..and...the balanced diet..went on and on and not those 'sweet things'. In the end, I was not allowed to eat anymore choc chip cookies and mum said that she's not going to supply me anymore choc chip cookies. She did what she said..when she came to my student house last weekend, she bought me this cheese crackers instead of choc chip cookies. To be honest, I felt like crying when I noticed there was no choc chip cookies in the bag. "It's my favourite, mum. I can't live without it!!"

To begin with, last Wednesday, I read this one magazine in library and came across one article about poverty in Afghanistan. The article mainly is about how poverty affects the lifestyle of people there. Also, pictures are included in the article to show how the real situation of povert. But what captured my attention was a picture which showed a little boy eating cookies which he picked up from the garbage disposal. Then I realized how lucky I am to live in such a comfortable environment, yet I still feel that I never had enough cookies..how ungrateful is that? I try to imagine myself living in such condition where I hardly eat a meal in a day and only had meal from trash!! Their life's miserable.

Now I realised that I must be grateful of what I have now. I musn't complaint about not having enough cookies and I should not be choosy and picky about food or any other necessities because there's other people out there trying hard to survive in their life. While we're eating variety of delicious food here, the kids there are starving to death. This really saddens me because I can do nothing to help them. All I can is only sympathize but I know that's nothing as compared to what they are going through. I wish I could help. Maybe I can pray to God to help them, to make their life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment